Road to 2017
A remarkable country is born
Nearly 150 years ago, at the Charlottetown and Québec conferences, the Fathers of Confederation worked on a visionary project—to create a lasting democracy—which today serves as a model for the world.
Making a link between the past and the future
In the coming years, as part of Road to 2017, the Government of Canada will encourage Canadians to commemorate events, celebrate accomplishments and honour individuals who have helped shape Canada as we know it today.
From now until 2017, Canadians will have numerous opportunities to learn more about their history and think about what they can achieve in the future. They will also be able to express their pride in everything their country represents:
Canada is strong
- An enduring federation and a leader to the world.
- A country of strong values, cultural and religious freedoms.
- A tradition of democracy, human rights and rule of law.
Canada is proud
- A country of natural beauty and wealth that has helped to define who we are as a nation.
- An identity influenced by heritage of Aboriginal, French, English, and from around the globe.
- An open, diversified and pluralistic society.
- A sport nation.
Canada is free
- A major world economy that is open and free.
- A leader in many fields such as trade, science, innovation and culture.
- A country that showcases to the world our talent, natural resources, and technology.
- Date modified: